Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Another iPhone picture

You may recall that I recently purchased an iPhone 5s, in part because of the nice camera that it contains. Here's a photo of our cat Ty Ty in his never-ending quest for sunshine and warmth, taken with the 5s. It's a jpeg straight from the phone, with no adjustments.




A couple of things are notable about this image, I think. First, in this very contrasty shot, with direct sunlight coming through a window, you still get decent detail in some of the shadows. Look at the painting in the background, for instance.


And the resolution is very good. Here's a crop of the same shot:



The fur and the paint texture hold up nicely in this enlargement. I didn't add any sharpening. Click on the image to view it larger.

The iPhone has some issues. The very-low-light pictures I've taken aren't great but, c'mon, this is a small sensor (4.89 by 3.67 mm, according to AnandTech). I've had one lock-up unrelated to the camera, and the voice dictation--great when it works--mysteriously refuses to be available in the Notes application at times. Overall though, and in particular regarding photos, I'm happy so far.

My previous iPhone photos are in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment