Sunday, January 12, 2014

Winter at the C&O Canal Park

We've had a very cold spell this past week, so when things warmed up a bit on Friday I headed out to Great Falls, one of my favorite spots for photography, hiking and just clearing out the cobwebs. The Potomac River has been very high recently but was receding on Friday. It left ice on the banks in wonderful forms, shaped I suppose by the fluctuations in temperature and water level. I loved the contrast between the angular ice crystals and the smooth ripples of water. Once again I was glad I got outside. I was also happy that the restrooms at Great Falls have hot-air hand dryers (which I usually loathe).


Ice and Branch, Potomac River
For those interested in the details: Pentax K-5 handheld 1/250 sec. at f/6.3, ISO 1600, 36mm(smc Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM).

No comments:

Post a Comment